The History of Food Series is part of an ongoing event at the Lake Clear Lodge, which began an Adirondack History of Food as the oldest operating Great Camp in the Adirondack Park, in collaboration with a host of North Country organizations, businesses, and individuals.
The expanded History of Food reaches back to the origins of various foods, how food shaped history, the myths and legends of their healing power, and how the hunt for certain foods formed the quest for world discovery, created our way of life, and associations with people and cultures.
This five-course tasting event is fun, interactive, and myth-busting, with cooking demos, recipes, forgotten foods, and techniques you can use today to spice up your menu at home in the natural, whole foods traditions of our past.
- Begin in our 1920s Speakeasy with a hidden beer and wine cellar (make sure you know the password!)
- Meander to our 1886 Stagecoach Dining Room.
- Come early and attend our special events or meander the property, including one of the world’s most spectacular mountain-lake sunsets on our picturesque beach on Lake Clear, where Einstein relaxed.
- Savor a five-course tasting of foods from throughout history and around the world.
- Learn how to prepare some of these Ancient Foods with cooking demonstrations from Executive Chef Cathy Hohmeyer.
- Test your knowledge with fun History of Food trivia.
- Add-on a special History of Ancient Beer & Tonics Tasting
Historically, foods have been locally based, using the resources of the land and natural ingredients–all important to today’s quest for healthier, different, and savory foods.
Thus, the History of Food has a strong Adirondack emphasis on practical tips for foods and cooking techniques. Of course, we cannot forget to test your food acumen with trivia!
Fun, engaging, and meant for families, friends, the romantic, and foodies. Enjoy practical tips and techniques you can use to bring history’s best food practices and traditions to your home.
Add-on: History of Ancient Beer & Tonics (6:00 PM)
We can't talk about the History of Food without the fun and importance of the History of Beer, Wine & Spirits! In ancient times these served as medicinal, ritualistic, social, and cultural icons. What you ate and drank often related to where you were from and how you were regarded! Enjoy this 30-minute tasting and workshop with Ernest of ancient beers and tonics.