Winter Only: Great Camp Speakeasy Dinner Experience
Shhh...you will need a password to get in!
Create Your Own Experience
- Begin your journey in one of the last of its kind: an original Adirondack lodge.
- A special password to get in through the hidden door.
- Explore our USA TODAY featured beer cellar, the largest selection of import craft beers in the Adirondack Park.
- A chance to participate in a potential "surprise raid" by a 1920's Copper. Make sure you know where the hidden tables are.
- Savor some of the dishes from our 1920's menu! A 3 course dinner awaits.
- Have fun with Trivia and Fun Facts.
Three Generations of the Hohmeyer Family Invite You
Step back in time to an 100-mile product philosophy based on Chef Cathy's family who built originally built the Lodge in 1886. We fuse this with the Old World traditions of Ernest's European family who bought the Lodge over 50 years ago. Together, the Lodge is the oldest continuing operating lodge in the Adirondack Park. We honor traditional and real foods wellness cooking including:
- Fresh vegetable stocks
- Slow roasts
- Hand-cut meats
- Bone broths
- Natural herbs and spices
All prepared in a unique "culinary naturopathy" cuisine as one of only seven Audubon International Platinum Green Hotels.
Dinners include vegetable stock & bone broth soups, Chef Accompaniments (choices vary each evening) such as fresh Lodge garden and farm vegetables, red cabbage, ancient grains such as quinoa, spaetzle or hand-grated potato pancakes.
Add On to the Experience
4:30 PM: Cooking Demonstration
Roll in the Speakeasy Dough: a fun family coking demo where every one rolls-in-the-dough!View Activity
5:00 PM: History of Holiday Beer Workshop & Tasting
Enjoy a 30-minute History of Beer workshop and tasting with Ernest Hohmeyer!View Activity
- Speakeasy Mixology: Learn Speakeasy Drinks That You Can Do At Home
- Soups, Stews and Stocks: Start the New Year with 10 Simple Wellness Cooking Tips
- Campfire Chats: Stories, Trivia and Adirondack Prohibition. The Lake Clear Lodge and our Family was right in the cross-hairs!
NOTE: SPEAKEASY EVENT & LANTERN-LIT SLEIGH RIDES
Sleigh rides are provided by an outside vendor and we are proud to continue the long standing tradition of working with local farms. As such, sleigh ride availability is determined by them. They use our beautiful woods that stretch to the shore of beautiful Lake Clear, on lantern-lit trails. Thus, purchase of sleigh ride tickets are SEPARATE as we cannot control availability, and of course... the weather.
As Speakeasy participants, you will have priority booking for the lantern lit rides when the schedule becomes available.
As for the nights when the Speakeasy is open and no sleigh rides are offered, your Speakeasy ticket applies and no refund or rescheduling can be permitted due to limited seating. Cancellation of the sleigh rides by a non-affiliated, outside vendor, does NOT cancel your Lodge Speakeasy ticket.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the Speakeasy Event open to the public?
Yes, on a limited basis and everyone must purchase a ticket (with password).
Is the Speakeasy Fun for Families?
We are a 3 generation operated family business - we would hope so - suggestions to make it fun include:
- Give your children the password and have them knock on the hidden door!
- Have them help you with the hidden tables should we be raided
- We have 1920's non-alcoholic drinks like Shirley Temples
- Available are children's menu selections or ala-carte off the menu for 10 and under, $10 minimum.
- We do request that your children remain seated with you. No electronic devices are allowed.
How Long is the Event?
The Speakeasy even with possible raid, hanging out in an authentic Speakeasy and then upstairs to the 1886 stagecoach dining room for dinner is typically 90 minutes - but is is really up to you. Sleigh rides are generally 30 minutes but give yourself more time for pictures and saying hello to the horses.
Is It One Price?
Price for the Speakeasy event is pre-fixed with special prices for children under 10. Pricing includes Speakeasy activities and dinner and does NOT include alcohol or the sleigh ride (when available). Please bring ID.
What Are the Hours?
They vary depending on Holidays and special events, but typically are between 5:00 - 8:00 PM. If sleigh rides are available, your ride will be prior to dinner.
Are Groups Welcome?
Groups to us mean 15 people or more including children. We would be happy to work with you for special timing or meals. Contact us directly.
Are You Open Other Nights?
For special occasions and a minimum number of participants it may be possible, please contact us directly.
The Family Dining Experience
As a family operated business for three generations, we welcome your family to our Adirondack Alps dining experience. We encourage families to bring their children and explore the world of traditional and real foods. You can do this in several ways:
- Children’s portions from our regular menu. A child favorite is our chicken schnitzel, but other options may include Mac and Cheese Spaetzle, Adirondack Alps Wursts (sausages), or Hohmeyer Family Classic "Frikadellen".
- You can also pre-order for “Family Fast Dinners,” or a take-out to your artisan lodging. Though we hand prepare all of our meals, you can pre-order your dinner to expedite the experience. Here, you can have the best of both worlds where you can arrive for an appetizer in the Speakeasy Rathskeller, have dinner or take it to your artisan lodging.
- Picnic lunches or dinners down at the Beach Gazebo’s in season.
Our Family’s Request to Yours
- There are numerous games in the Fireside Rathskeller children can use while you are there.
- Our dinner was family time and we encourage you to do the same. Electronic devices are not allowed in the 1886 dining room and we presume everyone will be sitting together while dinner is being served.
- Children age of 11 and above are expected to eat a regular dinner.
- As seating is limited, there will be a minimal charge of $10 per child.